Hey AMA members and students! 👋
We are kicking off our first Networking Blog Series!
This blog series will include content with tips, tricks, and advice for:
- Using Handshake
- Utilizing LinkedIn with your profile + content
- Creating a personal portfolio
As students, we want to take advantage of all of the social networking platforms and resources to promote our personal brand to employers and other professionals.
The first tip we want to give that applies to each of these is having a professional headshot. This picture of yourself will be used on all social media platforms including Handshake and LinkedIn. This headshot can also be used on your portfolio as you build your personal brand.
When taking your headshot, make sure to dress professionally and stay away from busy patterns that may not photograph well. Your background for your headshot should be simple. Many Virginia Tech students use Hokie Stone as their background to show those viewing their profile that they are a proud future graduate of Virginia Tech.
Also - quick shout out to the Multimedia Executive position in AMA for hosting professional headshot events for AMA members at Virginia Tech!
Another factor that applies to all parts of our Networking Blog Series is creating a solid resume.
- For resume help at Virginia Tech:
- The Student Success Center offers resume reviews
- The website ‘Monster’ gives free resume reviews
- Pamplin Advisors are able to help through appointments with the Career and Professional Development Advising
- Resume reviews can be available with companies on Handshake
We are excited to launch this Networking series for students! Stay tuned for upcoming blog posts!